Litro Magazine has been nurturing writers for over 15 years, many to literary acclaim, and we are proud of our reputation for having been the first home to a long list of celebrated writers. Our alumni have gone on to make deals with major publishers and become household names, picking up an array of prizes along the way. For us the logical next step was to launch our Masterclasses as a new way of reaching out to emerging writers, helping them to write their best and get smart about the industry.
Litro Masterclasses have grown organically out of Litro Magazine, and as such are the continuation of Litro’s mission to find and launch new writers. If you’re ready to commit the time and dedication to become the great writer you know you can be then a Litro Masterclass is for you. Get your voice heard and let our editors and author-tutors set you onto the path of literary success.
A Litro Masterclass will afford you the following:
- Editorial expertise - Litro Editors are closely involved with our courses and give feedback on manuscripts.
- Award winning contributors - Our author-tutors are award winning published writers with great track records. Our guests are top authors, agents and publishers.
- Quality content - Our classes maintain the editorial excellence held at the magazine and are intensive, practical and packed with effective feedback.
What to expect from a Masterclass
Litro Masterclasses provide a platform for you to hone your skills, gain confidence and work with experts who will give direct feedback tailored to your work. Although writing is a mostly solitary occupation, all writers at need a little support, some editorial guidance, a group of good readers and a chance to try things out and get feedback. Litro Masterclasses provide all this, in a supportive and fear-free atmosphere.
- Tuition from professional authors: many of the Masterclasses are taught by award winning authors. Our tutors are selected for their publishing record and teaching experience, but also for their dedication to Litro’s ethos of developing new talent.
- Small class sizes: each Masterclasses will have student-group of no more than 15. We believe that small group sizes mean better results as tutors have more time to dedicate to students during classtime.
- One-to-one tutorials: all our Masterclasses – include the option for one-to-one tutorials with tutors. These give students the opportunity to receive in-depth feedback on their work and the chance to focus on the areas where they most need help.
- Content-packed courses: courses are carefully curated and structured with input from the Litro editorial team and our literary agent contacts to make sure we deliver the best teaching and offer value for money. We’ve surveyed our readers and those who have taken other courses to find out how to make our Masterclasses relevant and meaningful to our students.
- Practical classes on key topics, such as how to construct plot and how to write convincing dialogue.
- Homework linked to the teaching topics and to students’ work-in-progress.
- Writing exercises are worked on at home and uploaded for sharing with tutor and group on our secure educational site. Some of the best work will be submitted for published on the magazine’s website
- All our courses that are six weeks and longer also include writing workshops. These enable students to get feedback on sections of their work from tutors and students. We run our workshops strictly to ensure that feedback is constructive and positive, and that everyone
participates fully. Students can put specific questions about their work to the tutors and the group, and feedback is delivered in discussion (online) and in individual written responses. We believe that students benefit from reading and commenting on the work of others as well as through receiving comment on their own work. The process of delivering feedback also helps to develop the inner editor.